November 29, 2014
Did you know the biggest day for delivery pizza orders is the day before Thanksgiving? Yep. Think about it: relatives in town, cooking like mad for Thanksgiving dinner the next day, need something quick and easy that everyone will like – what comes to mind? Pizza, that’s what.
Thanksgiving might be over now, but that doesn’t mean pizza’s any less appealing. Instead of picking up the phone or reheating some more turkey leftovers, make your own easy, healthier ham and pineapple pizza using my recipe below.
Sean and I have tried lots of pizza places around Atlanta – heck, we even had pizza one night in Shanghai, but time and again, I find myself drawn back to making my own pizza… up to a certain point. I don’t necessarily need to make the dough from scratch, or the sauce, but it’s so satisfying to know the pizza’s been made exactly to our specifications (not to mention a heck of a lot healthier).
So below is my version of ham and pineapple pizza. If you’re not a mention of ham (or pineapple) or anything else on the pizza, for that matter, feel free to sub in your own ingredients on top of the pizza crust and sauce. This is a great base for just about anything you care to place on top though. Enjoy and let me know your favorite pizza toppings!
Ham and Pineapple Pizza
Serves: 2 – 3
- 1 premade pizza crust (I like Boboli 12″ inch original pizza crust)
- 1/3 – 1/2 13 oz. jar of pizza sauce (I use Del Grosso Pappy Fred’s Old Style Pizza Sauce)
- 1/2 small can of crushed pineapple bits in juice
- 4 oz. of chopped ham (I prefer Jones Dairy Farm ham slices)
- 1 c. of shredded cheese (I used Publix six cheese blend)
- Optional: Spicy red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lay pizza crust on baking sheet with tinfoil underneath or a pizza stone.
- Spread 1/3 to 1/2 of a jar of pizza sauce of choice on the pizza crust spreading evenly almost to the edges.
- Chop ham into chunks and sprinkle on top of pizza sauce. Also layer in crushed pineapple bits at this time.
- Top the whole pizza with shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 8 – 10 minutes, turning on the broiler for the last minute to brown up the cheese.
- Remove the pizza from the oven, sprinkle red pepper flakes over it for an extra dash of flavor, slice into 8 pieces and enjoy.